"Charity is commendable, everyone should be charitable. But Justice aims to create a social order in which, if individuals choose not to be charitable, people still don't go hungry, unschooled or sick without care. Charity depends on the vicissitudes of whim and personal wealth, justice depends on commitment instead of circumstance.
Faith-based charity provides crumbs from the table; faith-based justice offers a place at the table"
~Bill Moyers

Saturday, February 9, 2008

So, why Obama?

Well, for me, a cynic (Frustrated Idealist), what tipped the balance is the fact that I have allowed myself to dream once more, to believe, if you want to put it that way, that maybe it is possible to make some changes to the paradigm deeply rooted in the US body-politic for... well, it seems forever.

I'm not being naive, no, I'm realistic enough to know that we are going against the grain, swimming upstream, hoping without hope, but with all my realism/cynicism, I ask myself: Do nothing? Give up even before I try?

Maybe it is dreaming awake, who can really know what's ahead, but Barack Obama is talking to me, to us, he is saying that change is possible, but that it will only come about IF WE MAKE IT HAPPEN, it goes parallel to my belief that IT IS UP TO US, which goes right along with what a group of activists (Sisters/Brothers), of which I'm part, are saying: "WE ARE THE ONES WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR"

Maybe it is just words coming from him, but for me, it is a contract that says: OK Mr. Obama, it is also up to you, it is your choice to be a shining star in the US Political Firmament that'll shine for years to come, or, you will just be a Falling Star of short-lived brilliance, that's for the future to determine working together with your lead, demonstrating your side of our implicit contract. My choice and duty will be to make it so, I'm taking your word for it, your option is to be responsible for your actions in our bargain. My options are: To continue supporting and helping you, or to hold you accountable. Whichever it is, I'll know because you'll show me.

Your Choice.

There you have it - Join us and dream once more, but let our dream be anchored in the reality of our activism, of our involvement because "Si se puede!", "Yes, it can be done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, our aim is to publish all comments; the exceptions will be those which advocate violence, threats of violence, spam, and shameless 'pimping' of blogs or sites.

A link to an article or post, in and by itself, does not qualify as a comment.

These comments(?) will be promptly and gleefuly rejected.

It is ok to us if you'd want to publish a link to your blog or website, as long as it is done in an honest way, i.e., in a comment which is to the point and relevant to the post you are commenting on.

I also appreciate your visit very much.

"The Administrator" AKA Aurora

Fare well,

Subscribe to El Rinconcito de Aurora - - Subscribe in a reader
 
Powered by FeedBurner - - Add to Google Reader or Homepage - Subscribe in podnova -

Back to Top